Hialeah Florida is known as a gem of a city in Miami Dade county. This city is famous for being the home of Cuban and Hispanic Americans and has famous people such as singer Jon Secada hailing from here. To learn more about the interesting facts regarding Hialeah, read on and prepare to be amazed.
DID YOU KNOW that...
Historical Fast Facts about Hialeah
- Hialeah represents the cultural diversity of the county and is called the Grand Dame of the horse racing industry on account of its Hialeah Raving Park.
- Hialeah is Native American term for High Prairie and and derives its name from American Indian tribesmen who came to this grassy plain to sell their wares.
- It was in 1920s that aviation expert Glen Curtiss and Cattleman James Bright saw the immense advantages offered by Hialeah City which was finally incorporated in 1925.
Hialeah Geographical and Demographic Fast Facts
- Hialeah is located at 25 degree 51”38” North and 80 degree 17 “38” West and is the 10th largest city in the US.
- Hialeah has a population density of more than 10000 people per square mile and has a total area of 19.7 square miles.
- Of this 0.5 sq mile is water; this is around 2% of the total geographical area of Hialeah
- Hialeah is home to a massive immigrant population including people of Cuban and Spanish/Hispanic origin.
- A majority of the population residing in Hialeah is Hispanic in origin because of which Mexican culture forms the cornerstone of this city..
- It is also Florida’s 5th largest city and has experienced massive population growth.
Hialeah Economic and Governance Fast Facts
- Hialeah is a massive urban and commercial center in Miami Dade and has famous retailers such as Lowe’s, Walmart, Best Buy and Starbucks.
- Hialeah is home to a large set of mom and pop stores and shops compete against large retailers and big sized rivals.
- Hialeah’s cloth and manufacturing industry grew in the 1970s and 1980s; in recent times, electronics and technology has revitalized the local economy.
- Promenade Westland Mall in Hialeah is known for a massive collection of more than 100 stores and multiple restaurants apart from national retailers such as Sears and Macy’s.
- The second largest Spanish TV network in the US Telemundo has its HQ in Hialeah.
- Largest cities in Miami Dade County include Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Hialeah
- Hialeah is 20 minutes NE of Miami and is part of Greater South Florida Metropolitan Area as well as Miami Metropolitan Area.
- US Census at the most recent count found Hialeah is home to 5.4 million people and it has the following thoroughfare highways- I-95, I-75, Palmetto and Sawgrass ExpressWays.
- Hialeah residents can access multiple airports and the Miami port apart from Amtrak, MetroRail and Tri Rail stops within the city.
- Hialeah is the sixth largest city by area in Florida and is one of the top municipalities within SFMA and Greater Miami.
- This is considered to be a politically conservative city and has a massive proportion of Hispanic population.
Interesting and Fun Filled Fast Facts About Hialeah
- Hialeah has a law against wearing a swimsuit and singing so be careful on the beach
- Elephants have the same status as cars in Hialeah; they are treated as vehicles and if tied to a parking meter, will be charged the fee for it.
- Well known aviation expert Amelia Earhart set off for the fateful round the world trip from which she never returned from none other than Hialeah City in Florida.
- Strolling or ambling is considered to be a felony and a crime in Hialeah so make sure you walk at a steady pace in this city.
- Hialeah has many unusual religions like Santeria, a religion of African origin that includes Cuban healing practices. Hialeah has a massive population of Cuban and Hispanic people living here
- Hialeah is one of the most densely populated cities in Florida sans any high rise or skyscraper.
- In Hialeah, it is illegal to engage in skateboarding without a license/permit.
- Famous Hialeah Race Trace, the reason why the city is called Grand Dame, has received tons of coverage since its inception in 1920s and attracted legends such as Winston Churchill, Kennedy family and JP Morgan to name a few.
- Hialeah is known for its amazing Latin and Mexican restaurants such as Chico’s and the Taco Shop.
- Catherine Keener, a famous American actress nominated twice for the Oscar’s was raised in Hialeah.
- Hialeah is known for its amazing mom and pop stores specially the famous supermarket named the Publix.
- It has amazing year round moderate climate and has been home to many famous movie studios as a result of this.
- KC of the famous group KC and the Sunshine Band. HW Casey started working as an employee in a record store in this city.
- James H Bright and Glenn Curtiss founded this city in the 1920s and it has been the birthplace of many famous professional athletes such as G. Gonzales and A. Avila.
- Grammy award winning singer and songwriter Jon Secada famous for his song “Just Another Day Without You” was also raised in Hialeah and has written songs for famous performers like Ricky Martin and Jennifer Lopez.
- Hialeah has a 10,000 seater football stadium called Milander Park and popular venues for weddings and events is located here.
- One of the most famous mottos of the city is All Roads Lead to Hialeah and this city also hosts the annual Art on Palm Festival.
- With massive number of people of Cuban and Hispanic origin, Hialeah is known as the City of Progress.
- Hialeah is also one of the largest employers of people working in the Miami Dade county.